Beyond the food, there are all sorts of things to know when working with a caterer. Each caterer does things a bit differently, so it is important to bear in mind certain key information.
Using Our Menus
At Manna we make the distinction between weekday lunches, and event catering. In all cases, we will be as accomodating as possible, based on events and catering already scheduled.
Luncheon Catering items may be ordered from our Cafe Menus
- Orders for fewer than 12 people may be placed by 9:00 a.m. of that morning, with pickup available starting at 10:30.
- Orders for 12 to 20 people should be placed by 2:00 p.m. the previous day at the latest, with pickup available at 10:30 the following day.
- Orders for more than 20 people should be placed at least 3 days or more ahead of time.
Event Catering, in which you may use our full buffet menus to plan more distinct parties, requires larger minimum orders and more advanced notice.
- Minimum Number - 30 people (menu selections will be much more limited with smaller groups)
- Minimum Notice - 2 weeks (note that orders will be accomodated only as our schedules allow - many dates are reserved over a year ahead)
Planning For Larger Events
In the early stages of planning, we strive to understand fully the particulars of your event, so that the final menu and service meet your very individual needs.
Catered events should be scheduled as far ahead as possible to ensure that Manna is available on a given date. The bigger the event, the more notice is necessary.
Prices and Quantities: In assembling a menu, our per person prices are based on full portions of a particular item. The final portions may vary depending on the number of items chosen, and the nature of the event itself. The final per person cost may be less than the sum of the parts.
Final Selections and Headcounts: Menus should be finalized by 2 weeks prior to the scheduled event. The final headcount is due to Manna 10 days ahead to allow for ordering and scheduling. This number will be used to determine final costs, and only very small fluctuations can be accommodated after that.
Because our catering is made fresh per order, we do not keep menu items on hand. Minimum orders for a particular item apply in many cases.
Factors Affecting Final Menu Selections, Quantities, and Pricing
- Nature of the event
- Time frame for the event
- Your guests’ expectations (e.g., what did your invitation say regarding food)
- Number of items on the menu
Your decision to use staff at an event will depend on many considerations:
- The degree of formality you want
- Whether you have people available to help you
- Whether you want to heat or cook items yourself
- The size and complexity of your party
- Whether you will use disposable eating ware or china
Our Prices Include
- All disposable eating utensils that accompany the food we provide
- Layout on disposable serving pieces (customer need not return)
- Layout on good serving pieces (customer must return)
- Linens for food tables (customer must return)
Available for an Additional Charge
- Catering service staff (charged at $20.00/hour per person, charged round trip from Manna)
- Licensed Bartenders (charged at $30/hour, flat fee, payable directly to the bartender)
- Typical staffed events are subject to an 18-20% gratuity on the food portion of the bill. Certain events, such as those which are more elaborate, involve full china, or are set up in unusual circumstances, may incur additional gratuity.
- For delivery/setup only, a 10% gratuity is added.
- Catering orders, or any special orders that are picked up at Manna (including call-in lunches for more than 10 people), will be charged an 8% gratuity.
In general, our ability to deliver on any given day is based on staff availability, our current schedule, and the size of the delivery.
- Currently, Manna does not offer regular delivery for small orders (luncheons of fewer than 20 people or for any trayed or boxed bakery items). Delivery outside of our immediate geographical vicinity is available only for larger events.
- For catered orders under $250, and within 5 miles of Manna Cafe, we charge $25 fee per trip (drop off, pick up)
- Delivery outside of a 5-mile radius is based on staff time (charged at $25/hour) plus round trip mileage (.50/mile).
- If an event is not staffed, and pickup of serving pieces is required, there is a separate pick-up charge based on staff time and mileage, as described above.
- All unstaffed catering deliveries will be charged a 10% gratuity.
We do not carry a liquor license. Any alcohol you need for your party you must furnish yourself. We can provide licensed bartenders to serve alcohol that you provide, but they are charged separately from the regular catering staff
We suggest that you use A to Z Rental for your china, glassware, and linen needs. They have a good selection, and good service. For on-site events, we have china available.